Friday 9 July 2010

Play Time

Two weeks ago, we saw Toy Story 3 in a theatre. We hoped Adiv would sit through the movie, because he loves Woody, Buzz Light Year, and Jesse. As added incentives, we got him some popcorn and a glass of the forbidden, "Fizzy Fanta"! When the movie began, he was ecstatic.
"Woody and Buzz in BEEEEEEEG TV", he said excitedly. "What's that? Who is that?", he continued during the course of the movie. But as the theatre was filled with noisy kids, we had little to be embarassed about. In the movie we saw toys who were trying to escape the cruelties of toddlers. These toddlers ran in, threw toys around, dunked them in paint, licked them, and threw them in the air. Adiv was not very different. As he seemed to enjoy the movie, I hoped he would now be gentler with his toys.
"Toys are scared of kids like you", I told him. "Be gentle"!
He responded by flinging Elmo in the air and speeding off in his car.
-----
Adiv is a curious toddler who enjoys dismantling (read destroying) his toys. He opens up tiny cars to check who is driving. He destroyed a rather fancy bus, just so he could put two of the little people inside it together. He said he'd torn off the top of another car, just so he could make place for himself in it. Despite all this destruction, he has his quieter moments when he sits with his hot wheels collection, or sings to baby Pooh and Elmo. He has a name for all his stuffed toys, and often props them on the bed beside himself, when he watches "The Dark Knight" (his favorite flick).
Luckily for him it is Christmas all year long. With grandparents, aunts and uncles, showering him with presents, we don't really have to shop for toys. However, recently when he began giving me make believe coffee and sambar in his building blocks, I decided to get him a cookery set.
*
Rohit and I don't believe in stereotyping toys as boy toys and girl toys. Adiv loves his cars and guns, as much as he enjoys making us tea or chicken curry in his cooking set. Rohit's side of the family has men who enjoy cooking all kinds of exotic cuisine. Rohit is quite the accomplished cook himself (Errr..Chef I mean). So we happily thought he was probably showing the beginnings of an interesting culinary journey. In his little plastic plates he served chicken curry, rice, and fried fish one afternoon. Then he made me lime juice that was served with ice.
"Yummy", I responded.
"Want some more?"
"I'm full", I said patting my belly.
He then put away his utensils and got back to his cars.
"Unkoo bring 20 cars for Kuttu", he said.
"Only if you stop destroying them."
"No breaking. No throwing", he promised.

Then a few days later, when we were shopping for a niece, he began asking for a Barbie doll. He'd seen Barbie in the Toy Story movies, and a few others (in various states of undress) with his girl cousins. "I want Barbie", he said.
Someone who heard said, "No, dolls are for girls. Not for boys."
"Why not", I thought, but I was very curious about what games he would play with his barbie.
"He'll pull her hair out and break her legs", warned Rohit.
"Maybe he'll be gentle. He is very gentle with the babies in the play area", i reasoned.
I had vague memories of a little boy who bent his Barbie and used her like a gun. Nonetheless I was curious about whether the need to shoot and fight were inborn boy traits. Were little girls born with a maternal trait that led to them singing songs to their dolls and combing their hair? Did we as parents make kids the way they were, by giving them what was traditionally a boy toy or a girl toy? Could I only blame stores that kept gender specific toys and ensured that girl clothes had pink? Why didn't we ever see boys play with dolls in advertisements? Did I want Adiv to think he was less of a boy just because he wanted to play with a doll? I didn't. However, i wasn't sure I wanted him to break her limbs and paint her orange.
So I decided to ask Adiv what games he wanted Barbie to play. He said he merely wanted to take her for a ride on his bike. Sounds peaceful enough, I thought.
"I'll give him my old Barbie", I told Rohit. "I have it somewhere at home."
"Only if you are okay with her being ruined", warned Rohit.
"Adiv want Barbie", said Adiv loudly, as a reminder.
"Okay", I said. If he was good with the Barbie, i'd probably give him a favorite old imported doll that sang songs.
For now he is throwing baby bear in the air to see if the bear will land on the fan.

6 comments:

Deepa said...

I am really curious to know how Adiv will play with the barbie. I too feel that boys and girls can play with the same toys. My little girl loves dolls and stuffed toys and cars and balls too! But her favorite thing to do is to take a vessel and a spoon from the kitchen to make "mum mum" for us to eat!!

The Ketchup Girl said...

i like the way u are bringing him up. :) and i like how curious he is. he will be a very inclusive boy when he grows up. unlike mishmash who does likes Ben10 but her 'ambition; in life is to become a 'princess'. che. she loved Toy story too!

Unknown said...

"For now he is throwing baby bear in the air to see if the bear will land on the fan" - ROTFL....:)

I am deeply curious on how Adiv would behave with the barbie doll... I am of the opinion that kids sensibilities are conditioned by society... so unless you tell him its a "girlie" thing to do... i think he will just happily play with it.... lets wait and see...:)

Primitive Lyric said...

@Scatterbrain: Yeah, I think kids should be able to play whatever they want. Adiv likes to cook, and i'm guessing that's in the genes. All the men in Rohit's house cook really well. Yesterday we were at my sister-in-law's place and he went straight to her daughter's toy kitchennette. After that he went on to play with a toy jeep and slide down the slippery slide!:)

Primitive Lyric said...

@KG: Mishmash is a princess! No doubt about that:)

@Abe: Yeah exactly! I don' tthink we should prevent kids from playing with certain toys just coz they are labelled girl/boy toys.
Now let me drink the coffee he just brought me;)

Haddock said...

Dismantling toys is a good sign they say. He could be inquisitive with a technical bend of mind.
Hmmm....Toy Story......say the movie "Bolt" yesterday. Travolta is still going strong.