Tuesday 1 May 2007

The Gift of Music

The package arrived last week, when I was least expecting a surprise. It wasn't my birthday, and still too soon for the anniversary. So when the mail man brought me a new toy, I assumed Ro had just given into his fascination for gadgets again.

"It's for you", said Ro, while I insisted my basic Nokia phone was still functional. It was user friendly, and that is pretty much all this technologically challenged individual needed. Nevertheless I was quick to put away my faithful Nokia for this new prized possession.


As i'm no gadget freak, i'll refrain from bragging about all that the phone does. I know how to answer and make calls on it. I've even managed to photograph camera shy Ro with it. Otherwise the phone performs the important task of bringing music into my life. For a while now, my favorite past time has been reading a good book, with music playing in the background. I might add a cup of hot chocolate and a furry dog warming my toes, but for now i'll make do with the music and the books. Now, with the entry of this new member, I get to take the music with me, wherever I go. I take it on my walks, humming gently to the tunes playing in my ears. I even smile at people approaching from the other end, ears hooked to i-pods and walkman phones. I listen to my mobile on the tube, in the library, and in the supermarket. I wake up to it, and drift into a pleasant night's sleep with music in my ears. However, when I'm home alone, the radio channel on the TV is switched on. Life is good.

This excessive addiction to radio has led to new discoveries. I'm the latest Michael Buble fan, hoping to win tickets to some concert in the near future. Listen to him, if you haven't already.



And to go with it?

I'm re-reading the series, and Monica Dickens is back to being my favorite author. She is a genius at making the mundane hilarious, unlike her more serious and celebrated ancestor.
Remember to get yourself a cup of hot chocolate as well!

No comments: