Thursday 3 May 2007

Heaven: Just Across The Road

As soon as winter was on its way out, we walked across the street to discover Osterley Park. I was ecstatic, as I usually tend to be when i've found a place that is close by, free (in London it matters), and beautiful (though I imagined I couldn't be moved by just scenic beauty). We'd merely crossed the road, walked past three stores, two restaurants, and a teeny book shop (with second hand books) before getting to the gates. On the other side, I saw families, children on bicycles, dogs, and babies on strollers. We walked in, and on either side we found well-kept horses, furry cows (an amusing sight for this Chennai-ite), a whole lot of ducks, pigeons, and one swan. The animals seemed oblivious to the picnicing crowds, and the groups of boys playing football. While the ducks lazed around beside what seemed like a lake, the graceful swan floated by ignoring anyone who tried to get too close. The pigeons were more shameless in their greed for the bread that was being tossed around by two children. Amidst all this beauty, I found myself a bench on which I would read my book.


(Our interesting little house guest making futile attempts at enticing the pony in the background, with a flower)

No comments: