Thursday 22 October 2009

The toughest part of motherhood is letting go! Nevertheless, feigning some courage, I drove Adiv to school today. He was happy. He ran in smiling looking for aunty, little knowing that I'd been asked to wait outside.
"He is friendly. He'll be fine. And he loves the teacher", the principal assured me.
They asked me to return at 1, but I decided to hang around outside. Apprehensive, I walked to the car, tried reading a book, sent Ro nervous sms messages, and kept checking the time. Half an hour later, I decided to peek in. I knocked at the door. The minute it was opened, I heard his voice.
"Mimiiii..Dadaaaaa..", he wailed.
I rushed in, and picked him up! The teacher wasn't very pleased. She argued that if i kept coming in, he'd never get over this fear.
I argued the whole point of this toddler program was that the parent would be allowed to sit in. She pointed to the older kids, some happy, some weepy. I pointed to Adiv and reminded her that they were a lot older than he was.
*
Ro and I share similar views on schooling. I'd chosen to be a stay-at-home mom, so I'd be around for him. Unlike a lot of working parents who had little choice, Adiv didn't need to be booted off to school early. Some argue that these kids cry and eventually get over it. I argue, why put him in school early and upset him. Adiv has always been a friendly happy child, and we weren't over-ambitious parents who wanted him to start school earlier than necessary. However, when I heard about the toddler program, I thought it would be fun. They'd let me sit in, and he'd get to interact with other kids and develop some social skills.
The first two days were good. He seemed to like his teacher, and was having fun in the confines of a room with a teacher, an aayah, the pink toddler, and me. Today when I peeked inside, the scenario was quite different. I found the room filled with older kids. The pink toddler sat on the aayah's lap with a toy, the teacher was busy with the older kids, and Adiv was stuck to the door crying. I was livid. Ofcourse it broke my heart seeing him weep. Nevertheless, I was angry that they had put him with the older kids who were learning alphabets. They tried explaining it to me by saying he was smart and therefore ready for an older class. I told them quite clearly that I wanted him to have fun with kids his age. I didn't want him in a class with older kids, feeling lost and lonely. I wanted him to learn in his own pace. I wasn't going to force any ambition on him.
I'm not sure they got the point, but I walked out with him. I said I'd return the next day and sit in with him till he got comfortable there.
Adiv cried himself to sleep in his car seat. I drove back worried! Adiv is a happy, intelligent young boy, and I didn't want anything to scare him. Tomorrow is a day I'm dreading, but I have to make my point clear just once more. Unlike a lot of parents who were preparing toddlers for a rat race, Ro and I are quite content just letting him do things at his own pace. For now I merely want him to play, make new friends, and learn something. I don't want a baby sitter for 2 hours.
Praying tomorrow is a better day for us both!

11 comments:

Starry-eyed nut said...

awww i can feel your pain.
Its a wonderful approach of not pushing your child and making them join the rat race.

Primitive Lyric said...

Thanks Starry-eyed nut! Yes, it's heartbreaking when you see fear in your child's eyes. That reason i'm against sending kids too early to school is that they're often too young to understnd that they're there only for some time and that their parents will return for them. Even a year makes a difference coz next year he'll be older, and i'll be able to explain to him that i'm waiting outside and we'll get home after school. Now he doesn't understand that if i'm not around!

krithika said...

i love u for this roops. I feel bad for those working moms who have to leave their kids in day care once their maternity leave is up. Unlike India people here do not have a support system. Though I crib about not working all the time...i am grateful that I am at home with Vidur. I keep telling Raj that we need to move back to India in a couple of years. Vidur needs his grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins. I grew up with a whole bunch of people. I don't want my kid to miss out on that.

My muuuuuahs to Adiv.

Primitive Lyric said...

@Krithika - I totally get what you're saying! Both Ro and I arent very keen on moving abroad coz of this very reason. Here Adiv gets to see his grandparents, his granduncle, grandaunt, aunts, cousins...there is so much family. Because of that he is getting to understand that even the extended family is important.
It's good that you're home. These are years you'll never get back. So enjoy them with Vidur. Have fun!:)

The Ketchup Girl said...

sweetheart, u are absolutely right in thinking this way. Its also not about letting go. We did send mishmash to school every early in Bangalore and eventually got her out, coz she was feeling sick. Thats when i saw the difference- she was much happier home, doing thiings her pace, waking up late, taking it easy. When she was finally ready, she asked herself - ma where is my school? By then we had movd to sydney, and she walked in confidently to her preschool, without a care that ma was not going to be with her. is this school Akshara by any chance?

The Ketchup Girl said...

sorry missed your comment on LIttle elly. I hear headstart is a wonderful school. A lot of my friend's kids go there. Take it easy roops, and yep, be vocal with the teachers :D

Primitive Lyric said...

@Ketchup girl: I'm going to turn to you for all these mommy-related doubts:))
I've also been told Headstart is good..three of my nieces and nephews went there and loved it!

AquaM said...

Hey girl..finished the tag finally! Hmmm, I guess u guys will get used to the little game of hide and seek - adiv can seek u out in a few hours, while mommy can take a seat back and wait for her lil one to finish school! Letting go is usually hard the first time - its like Bungee Jumping eh! The first scary step..

Primitive Lyric said...

@aqua - The point isn't about getting used to it! The point is that he is too young to be left alone and traumatised. Lots of kids go through with it, but he doesn't have to coz i'm not working! I wouldn't have picked the school if they hadn't said I could sit in!

Deepa said...

I am totally with you on this. Being a teacher myself, I know for a fact that putting a child earlier in school does NOTHING to improve their intelligence or whatever these over ambitious parents think it would.

Its true that kids who have been in pre-school/playschool do better than others at kindergarten, and maybe even lower grades. But thats it. It does not positively influence their lives beyond that.

What would be better is organising a playgroup of moms and toddlers that meet probably once or twice a week at each others homes by turn. This gives kids a chance to get to know other babis, realise that they might be the apple of their mommy's eye, but not really the center of the universe! And it gives the moms time to chat, share baby tips and eat!!

Primitive Lyric said...

@Scatterbrain: I wish we had more teachers like you. A lot of the schools here are employing people who've nothing else to do. I can't blame to school coz parents only expect babysitters while they go to work.
*sigh* The system sucks.