Tuesday 16 March 2010

Just a Mimi

In the world of promotions, EMIs, and day care centers, I'm a rare species; the unemployed, stay-at-home mom. A few years ago, I'd have vehementally denied the possibility of ending up as "just" someone's mimi. I was ambitious, and the jobs I jumped were proof of that. I was reasonably good at my job, or atleast that's what my bosses led me to believe. My marksheet from college held proof of a rank I got for Feminist Literature. I definitely wasn't going to give up a job, for a household and a baby. I lived in a world of equals.

Fortunately for me, I married someone who saw me as an equal. However, as chance would have it, my priorities changed. My son was born, and I knew I didn't want to leave him even for a second. I took refuge in the horror stories that I read about careless nannies renting out babies to beggars. I couldn't possibly take that risk with my baby. I attempted working from home, but that was just as difficult. I was more annoyed at the nanny who'd sincerely taken charge. She changed his diaper, fed him his meals, and sang him to sleep. She was taking on a role that was only mine. Also, how could I churn out storyboard after storyboard, when I was more apprehensive about whether the fruit was washed properly, and if the nanny was taking Adiv to the kitchen to gossip with the other maid. After a month, I found I had little time with him. So I indulged in some internal debating, and politely sent her off. Then I resigned.

Life has been wonderful ever since, though not the easiest. I knew I couldn't juggle several roles tirelessly and do them all well. I knew I couldn't spend quality time with Adiv, and meet deadlines, and ensure I had a clean, nicelooking home, and cook for a family potluck dinner, and read a page a day of my current book, and write.....! So I had to quit. Ofcourse I was fortunate enough to be able to afford it (Thank you Ro).

Now I only had to deal with friends and family who threw well-meaning yet condescending comments my way.
"I never had the time to notice my baby's responses to music. I was working."
"What? After playing journo, you're now sitting at home? Do you atleast wander the streets of Bangalore to find stories that you can send to newspapers?"
"You're so lucky. You can sleep if you want to." (Huh? Like housewives spend their mornings sleeping.)

Like many women before me, this post is an attempt to answer those questions. Life isn't easier now. I don't work because I chose not to (the empowered woman speaks). I'm up by 7 and I plan the menu for the day, put out the ingredients for the cook, make sure Adiv's breakfast is ready, and then wake him up. Feeding him takes a lot of patience. I climb the window grill, attempt new steps from MTV, make stories about the green turtle, read books, show videos on youtube, and play hide-and-seek before Adiv finishes his breakfast. Then there is lunch and dinner. Luckily, the Mass Communication classes helped hon my creative skills for this day. In addition to feeding, there's bath time, ABC time, and time(all day long) to make sure he doesn't do the forbidden. Despite keeping one eye on him at all times, he still continues to give me a fright from time to time (like when he drank up a bottle of cough syrup, or atleast led me to believe he had). Covering himself in peanut butter and later poop, also require special mention. Otherwise, we've managed pretty well. I bake him banana bread and cookies, and teach him about the world he lives in. I also read to him about Dada bear, Mimi bear, Adi bear, and Goldilocks, and encourage every little sign of talent. I clap the loudest when he dances, and tell the world when he speaks a new word. I punish him when he is naughty, but I never run short of those bear hugs and kisses.
Even this long monologue is met with incredulous looks of disbelief. You quit so you can have fun with Adiv? Perhaps if I had to cook and clean as well, I'd have received more sympathy.

"Don't you miss making your own money?"
"Don't you miss doing something for yourself?"
"Don't you miss working outside the house?"

I respond with my ready answers. I'd miss making my own money, if Ro didn't buy me my books and movies. I have no aspirations of owning that dream house with a fountain and spacious garden. Luckily my needs are simple, and since I have no green fingers, the thought of having a garden doesn't arise (except for a few pots in the balcony perhaps)!
I don't miss doing anything specific, because I make the time to do it all. I read, I write, I listen to music, I watch movies, and most importantly, I'm there for my child. I'm never too tired or too preoccupied. I'm there to plan his birthday parties and bake his cakes. I'm there to drive him to school and the play area. I'm even around when he wakes up crying because he has just dreamt about an angry doggie.
However, despite all of this, I do miss working outside the house. I miss meeting an impractical deadline, attending a pretentious meeting in a conference room, and gossiping over a cup of coffee in the pantry. Most importantly, I miss the thrill of receiving appreciation in the form of a good word or a promotion. Before you empathize, I haven't given up on those aspirations atall. I've merely postponed them for later.
For now, I'm happily just Adiv's Mimi. We fight when he fusses over a meal, we dance to "Wake up Sid", we sing every song on Sesame street, we color newspaper and our hands with non toxic paint, we play pretend games with his cars and action figures, we sing our ABCs and 123s, we make paper boats with forgotten newspapers, we dress up and go on drives, we share bars of chocolate, we read together;our thoughtful heads together on a pillow, we cream our faces at the end of a day....
I'm not apologetic about being a stay-at-home mom. I'm one, because I chose to be one, and I love it. Having said all this, I mean no disrespect to those mommies who juggle both roles with ease. But then, this post isn't about you. It is about me!

13 comments:

Journomuse said...

Hey Happy Belated Momma's day, super mom...and u have all the reasons to be thankful and balls to being apologetic...If I could have half what you have, I'd have packed up to the other side of the fence long ago!!

Love and cheers,
D

Primitive Lyric said...

Thank you Deeps:)
I wish I was super woman, so I'd be able to do it all WELL! Now i'm glad i'm doing the best i can with Adiv. When he is a little older and has his own life, i'll be able to step out and test the waters. Hopefully someone will still want to employ me then:D

Journomuse said...

A blogosphere tag game had me piqued enough to give it a shot and pick out my favourite blogs and say why they are my favourites...I chose yours and I want to you to know why...So do hop over to my blog to read the rest...http://wordysketches.blogspot.com/2010/03/i-received-strange-message-today-from.html

The Ketchup Girl said...

babe, you have no idea how you just made me feel. Thank you. Its not an easy jb, being a stay at home mom. especially for a person like me who is not one bit as balanced as u are. every word here resonates with me. thank you.

Primitive Lyric said...

@Ketchup Girl: You may be a stay-at-home mom, but you are so much better than those work-holic moms who have no time for their families. You're a complete being coz you have time for you family, your hobbies, and yourself.
Enjoy it!:)

The Coffee Cup said...

Thanks Deeps firstly for the tag game which introduced me to the 'Primitive Lyric'. I echo The Ketchup Girl's thoughts word to word. Standing on your toes in the newsroom/newsdesk for many years...screaming out into the studio, running for the last-minute edits, or later when I switched to a more sober, low-paced magazine set-up but which still had the deadline day madness....I enjoyed every moment of it. Giving it up wasn't easy but again it was a choice I made.
The perks at work were plenty: the pay cheque undoubtedly, the thrill (most times), the friends, the gup-shup over coffee n biscuits, the meaningless meetings where I discovered the artiste in me, and of course the congratulatory pat or handshake.
But stay-at-mom has greater joys: Being there when my son calls out for his mom first thing in the morn, cooking him his favourites, telling him his fav elephant story, cycling wt him, pillow fights, drawing, reading, dancing, and the countless hugs n kisses we share. Would I have it any other way..NO Way!!!
The questions and rants about wasting talent, getting lazy etc play in the background constantly and just when i was beginning to feel a guilty about ignoring my creative/professional side, your blog comes as a definite re-assurance that we mommies are bang on in following our heart.

Primitive Lyric said...

Welcome to my blog Sree:)
I'm glad i'm not alone in the way I feel. I might not be bringing back a salary now, and I might not enjoy the thrill of a promotion. However, like you said I'm there during the nightmares and the celebrations. I'm glad I'm not missing my son's childhood.

Unknown said...

You are an amazing woman....
I am not being condescending!!

You really are.

Not many people can be as secure about staying at home and "wasting" their prime work years. And on top of it, to be the upstart who cheekily says.... this choice is better...

Primitive Lyric said...

Thankyou Abe:)

Primitive Lyric said...

Thankyou Abe:)

BettyK said...

what a wonderful way to spend a few precious years watching your son grow up JUST be sure he doesn't put u on a pedestal and sent all his little wee willy winkies to the supermom some day not too faroff

love and good cheer
bettyko

Primitive Lyric said...

Hi Bettykoch,
Welcome to the blog:)
I'm ofcourse quite sure i don't want to be on any pedestal. I do this for myself and for Adiv. I don't however hold him responsible for it. So I expect no praise from him for it. I don't even want him to think I missed out on anything coz of him coz this is a choice i made. He didnt ask for it.
Anyway hopefully when he is a little more independant, i'll still be able to get back to work:)

Deepa said...

You know what?? U made the best decision possible!

One thing I've learnt is that there never is a set "right way" to live life.

My story is kind of the opposite of yours. I always thought I'd be the SAHM! but now I'm not! Accepting the present and making the best of it is what you can do.