Sunday 28 March 2010

Teething Trouble

I began this weekend with a nerve-wracking, heart-thumping drive to the dentist's office. Luckily I didn't have to wait too long. I'd flipped two pages of a magazine, when I was called in. In followed the dentist in a daze. Minutes earlier, I'd just told Ro a story. During the Japanese invasion of Malaya, a Japanese soldier made a group of people (chinese and indian) dig a pit. The group was then ordered to stand in a line. One by one they were shot, and everytime someone was shot they fell into the pit they'd dug up themselves. I told Ro, waiting for the dentist made me feel like someone in that line, awaiting her turn.
Fortunately, I was just being dramatic. What followed was an annoying stiffness of the jaw, as I had my mouth open for two hours. Otherwise, the rootcanal and the filling were painless.
*
My escapades with dentists began when I was quite little. I have terrifying memories of screaming in fear and pain, when a not so sympathetic dentist knocked a painful tooth with one of his scary dental gadgets. I didn't open up again after that, and so I spent the rest the my evening whimpering into my mother's lap. A little later, when I was feeling brave, we visited a well-known dentist in Cochin, who did some work, showed off my smile to his team, and left me with root canal gone wrong, and a bloody mouth.
I was luckier in Chennai, when a friendly dentist looked into my mouth and began his treatment amidst kind words and gentle assurances.
"Let me know if it hurts."
"It will be over soon."
That sealed the deal, and I vowed my allegience to the man. The next many years, I visited him for all kinds of dental work. I waited my turn in his modest clinic, oblivious to the paint peeling off the walls. I flipped through the pages of outdated magazines, while I waited for his voice.
"Come in Roopa."
Over time, with every visit, as my teeth got better, his clinic began undergoing a slow, but steady makeover. He got himself another dental chair, an assistant, a bigger clinic with freshly painted walls, a receptionist who now booked all appointments, and recent editions of all magazines. The man even got himself a new wardrobe, and graduated from a motorbike to a fancy car. I was definitely his favorite patient; his eternal patient; his loyal patient. I even flew down from Pune, to get a painful tooth checked. I always needed work to be done; fillings, root canals, bridges....! By now he was even giving me offers.
"One root canal, one filling free."
Privately we joked about how he'd built a fortune on my mouth. However, since I was too scared to try out anyone else, I continued to go to him. No questions were asked.
*
Then there was a long break in our relationship. I was married and away. I was apprehensive about what I'd do if I needed to see a dentist elsewhere.
"What if I was forced to see someone else?"
"What if this man died. Who would I see then?"
Anyway, when I was pregnant and in need of more dental work, I waited till I got to Chennai. Happily, I booked my appointment and got there on time. He was visibly pleased to see me, and he welcomed me into his newly resurrected clinic. The waiting room was bigger and boasted of air conditioning. The walls were adorned with paintings he'd done himself. A stack of magazines lay in a rack, and beside the rack sat his receptionist on her important looking desk with a new phone and a notepad.
Inside, he'd divided his work area into cubicles. Each cubicle had a theme color. He now had five dental chairs with all the latest gadgetry. Two assistants hovered around him, as he moved from cubicle to cubicle on his sliding chair. As I lay with my mouth open, I stared at his version of the famous discourse between Arjuna and Krishna. The colors were a tad bit too bright, and not quite right against the pink walls. He spoke about how he'd been expecting to see me again.
"Tut tut. More fillings", he said happily.
However now I was older and not so blinded. "Why doctor? After all the work that has been done, and all the care I take, why do I continue to have bad teeth?"
"Perhaps it's the genes", he explained, satisfying me.
So then, I gave up on my own teeth and began praying my baby would have a strong set of healthy teeth (courtsey: Ro).
Ro joked about getting my dentures. However, he also urged me to get a second opinion. So after much postponing, I finally (after 2 years) fixed an appointment with a dentist in Bangalore. A lot of the family who went to him, assured me that he was good. So I eventually found the courage and the will, to try out another dentist. Ro and Adiv came for moral support. I waited a while, before I was called up a winding staircase. I explained my case, and eventually gave him a peek into my mouth. A tooth had cracked the previous week, and that needed immediate attention. So he promised to give me a dental plan, and finish up all the required work over a short period of time. I could only do weekends, as Ro was needed to babysit Adiv. I assured him I'd be back, after 6-weeks as Ro would be away travelling and I'd be in Chennai. He agreed and we decided to meet when we got back.
I came away pleased, but once I was in Chennai, I had to fight the urge to go back to the dentist I trusted. By now everyone was doubtful about whether he'd spoilt my teeth, over several years. He was also very expensive, and obviously not very effective. So after some debating internally and externally, I decided to stick to the new dentist in Bangalore.
So now post a root canal that didn't hurt, I'm glad I didn't go back to my previous dentist. Life is good, and the new dentist no promises a close-to-perfect set of teeth!:)

10 comments:

flo said...

I got over my fear of dentists in my 20s,
i recently had to go to a surgeon to remove a hidden embedded pre molar in my upper gum.
My dentist here will tell me when I ask him to check & fill any crevices will tell me that my teeth are sound & not to make unnecessary 'holes'
If he says your problem may be genetic, check your mum's, dad's teeth. :) What about Aswin, Does he have the same problem too?
Cheers to your good set of teeth.

Primitive Lyric said...

Actually none of us having particularly good teeth!:)) I'm hoping Adiv gets all his teeth genes from Rohit, who has no dental troubles whatsoever:) Hoping it stays that way.

the dangerous mind said...

I feel your pain!! Im TERRIFIED of dentists.. and I've waited till I have no way out to go to one... post moving to Chennai, I needed work but JUST WOULDNT GO!(no matter how much Serenity coaxed me!) and now, after a month of treatments (which have cured my fear, because I found a great dental team!), I'm poorer by almost 20k! yeah, THATS how much "work" it took... the list includes 2 wisdom teeth extracted, 2 root canals, 1 filling, and now I need a "cantilevered bridge". I'm tempted to tell the man to stay off the architectural marvels in my oral cavity.. but sighhhh! C'est la vie!!

Primitive Lyric said...

@Dangerous mind: "Good luck" is all i can say!:))
I'm wishing I'd taken up dentistry and moved to the US. My brother went for a root canal in America. Insurance paid up 85% and still he had to pay 800 dollars.
Gosh!

Bird said...

Some relationships just bog you down. Trust me, you're in a better place now. It may seem hard to break up but thats what whiskey is there for. :P.

Primitive Lyric said...

Bird: That reminds me...have u heard "Whiskey Lullaby?"

Bird said...

Nope. But noted and will duly check it out.

Journomuse said...

dentists are the bane of my life...i postponed a cap after rootcanal for so long...now another teeth next to it that was giving me trouble has fallen off in sheer disgust of my neglect...i need to smile carefully now or u can see a gaping hole on the side...but I'd rather avoid the dentist...he's definitely not high on my list of favourite people..:)

Unknown said...

Believe me, you are in the minor league when compared to some people I know... They literally have major heart attacks before going to see one!!

Am not very afraid of dentistry myself.. but with all my wisdom tooth coming out.. I guess its time for a visit. And my last visit was a minor disaster... i have more holes after than before now...:(

Primitive Lyric said...

Better go see that dentist quickly Abe;)