Wednesday 4 April 2007

The Return to Innocence

After weeks of promising and planning, I finally met up with Deepthy and Rahael. After carefully reading up on popular haunts for children, I picked the Museum of Childhood. Though we wanted to see something new, I knew I couldn't depend on a child to do much walking. So the museum it was, and one with three floors of toys, dolls, doll houses, and books!

It was a while before Rahael began having fun. She was mildly interested in the optical illusion, the trains, and the puppets, but the food in the cafe was what she wanted. After a small snack, and a lesson on the P language, she amused me with an imitation of Mr Bean and a few jokes from her prized joke book. Then we were all set to go.

The oldest pram, all kinds of toys from all ages, a neatly handwritten story from the 1700s, a teddy bear who gets presents on his birthday every year, old pictures, a series of doll houses, costumes, prams, and easy-to-make games, had all the adults hooked. Meanwhile, the children had fun in the activity areas. You could press the button for a color and light up the area in that color, or just settle down on a huge sand box and pretend you were at the beach. You could play games on the touch screen monitors, or just read a book. Then you could pick a costume from a box, wear it, pick your favorite song at the jukebox, and dance to its tunes in front of a mirror. When the dancing tired you out, you could settle down to draw! Rahael did my portrait, after politely asking if she could give me another hairdo. If this wasn't enough, you could even build your own doll house, and cook in a child-sized kitchen. I watched a young boy in the adjoining dining room say, "Where is my supper?" Meanwhile his little sisters hovered around by the toy stove, and brought him empty plates filled with imaginary food. Rahael managed to bake an imaginary cake, as the oven had gone unnoticed by the other kids.
She didn't find the bear she was looking for; one that she'd read about. So she left a note for the curator, asking where Clarence the bear was. After that note, it was time for another snack, and a quick trip to the museum store. She'd brought along 38 pence from her piggybank, and she wanted to get something with it. Sadly, even the cheapest item was 50 pence! She made futile attempts to borrow money from Deepthy and then gave up!

As with the other museums, this trip turned out to be an all day event! I had my fill of toys, dolls, and kids. Luckily Rahael had as much fun, and went back playing self made tunes on her latest acquisition; a harmonica.
"Maybe I'll make money playing tunes", she enquired, still a little sad at the fancy pen she'd been eying at the museum store.
I took another train back home, while making a mental note of presents i'd get the kids I knew back home. I wish I could transport some of them to London, for a trip to this museum.

A definite must-see for all children; even the child within you.

No comments: