Monday 23 April 2007

Star Sightings

Ro and I are movie crazy, but not star crazy. We discuss directorial technique, scripts, and acting, but rarely engage in movie star gossip. We have our favorites ofcourse, but we'd never be caught stalking or even gushing (publicly) at them. We fall in the category of people who stand at the distance laughing at those who do throw themselves at actors. We are different!
*
Like many Londoners, we got to Central London today, so we could take part in the St George's Day celebrations at Trafalger Square. The patron Saint of England, St George was a brave Roman who protested against all forms of torture that the Christians had endured. His emblem, a red cross on white, was adopted by Richard, the Lion Heart, who brought it to England.

Preparations for this day (April 23rd) began weeks ago when brands began marketing the day via contests. Even I took part in one, where I had to write about someone I considered my hero. Since the person being written about had to be in London, Ro became the privileged subject. I didn't win the grand prize, but the postman brought me a small recipe book with meat recipes. A consolation prize perhaps!

We got to Trafalger Square in time for the comedies that were being screened on a huge monitor. We saw Monty Python and the Holy Grail, which had us in splits and many on their toes every time the funny songs came on. However, before we got to Trafalgar Square, we wandered into a gathering of excitable people. We snaked our way in, and voila...We found Tobey Mcguire
and


Kirsten Dunst! They were at the London Premiere of Spider Man 3. I was ecstatic, and I shamelessly gushed about how cute Tobey Mcguire (who was making futile attempts at looking older with his stubble) looked. Nevertheless, we tore ourselves away from the crowd to go watch Monty Python. After the movie we strolled back casually with some flavored yogurt (I can't believe it isn't icecream) and did the unimaginable.

We waited with a few crazy fans, outside the theatre, for another glimpse of the actors. I slowly inched forward and soon i was right in front. (Ro says I remind him of Monica...erm..from Friends). We waited amidst singing (Spider man Spider man by Ro), some chanting (Spidey Spidey by a crazy fan) and carefully positioned cameras. I stooped lower when I rummaged through the contents of my handbag to find paper on which Tobey Mcguire could sign. After tirelessly waiting in the cold, we found out that the actors had left long ago after gulping down a few drinks.
*sheepish grin*
So much for my strategies on how to get to the front row, just so I could shakes hands with Tobey Mcguire.

No comments: